13 February 2008

"I bought me a ticket; I caught a plane to Spain..."

I'd like to thank Joni Mitchell for inspiring my current adventure. "California" on her Blue album calls me to Spain (or France, or Greece). I arrived in Alicate, Spain early this morning with my good friend Celine. We found the cheapest tickets possible to the warmest destination available on Ryanair. The official price of our tickets was two cents, round trip (taxes/fees amounted to about 30 Euros each). With such cheap air fare, we didn't expect much, and actually had to take an hour shuttle to the airport, which isn't in Paris at all. Checking in and waiting was a bit chaotic, but nothing painful. We were delayed due to a strike at another airport in France (strike? in France? surprise surprise). Despite the zoo at the airport and our late arrival, we were well received by our host last night/this morning.

Alicante doesn't have too much to offer, but it's the perfect spot for a five day vacation. We're here to relax, visit the beach, enjoy some wine, and see a bit more of the world. Today we slept in until lunch time (Spaniards eat lunch around two PM), then headed out to see the city. My roommate taught me a few phrases in Spanish, and miraculously, they worked! I can ask for the bathroom, the beach, and the bus station, and decipher the response based on hand gestures. I can also order wine and coffee and ask how much things cost. Greetings and thanks have been well received, and I'm enjoying pretending that I understand another language. I bought some groceries with my credit card, and somehow understood that the cashier needed to see my ID for the purchase. Not that I understood any word that she spoke beyond, "Hola," but context is crucial.

Today we took a few hours to eat lunch, indulging in the menu du jour (tapas, entree, dessert and coffee, plus wine), then wandered to the beach. It is by no means warm enough to swim, but we left our coats at the apartment, and I took my shoes of to feel the sand. Alicante isn't much of a tourist destination, but there is a huge fort that towers over the city that we plan on visiting. We have no intention of setting our alarms in the morning, and tomorrow may hold another bottle of wine and another walk on the beach. We'll figure out how to post pictures too, and then I'll share a bit of the mountains and sea with you all. Viva l'espagne!

No comments: