04 February 2008

French Kissing

I think I've finally gotten the hang of French bisous. When you greet and say goodbye to friends here, you always kiss both cheeks of your companion. When you meet a friend of a friend, you kiss them too. I'm never really sure which side to start on, so I usually just follow the lead of my friend or new accquaintance.

This weekend, I had the oppourtunity to practice this custom when my roommate and I attended a soirée each night. On Friday, we joined a lively but small group for delicious French and Spanish appetizers, wine, dessert, and coffee. I never really imagined that teachers got drunk together and went out to bars, but now it's not all that surprising. Kelly and I were easily integrated into the group of French teachers and often asked to compare America (or Columbia, in Kelly's case) to France. We talked about education, taxes, and music, before we went out for another drink and dancing. I believe I was the only sober member of the party (I drove), but that didn't limit my fun. We left when Kelly started falling asleep at the club and finally went to bed around five. A good night overall.

On Saturday night, we joined a German assistant, and made crepes at another teacher's house. It was a low key, and delicious meal. We didn't do anything besides eat and talk, but with four people from four different countries and cultures, the conversation was constantly stimulating. I left that night with a list of musicians from France and elsewhere to look into and expand my own music collection. The night ended with farwell bisous, as to be expected, and an early bed time after the previous nights adventure.

I feel very fortuate to have been included this weekend, and I think I've learned something about the French. They are constantly stereotyped as cold and snooty, but I think that once you get passed the formality of introduction, you're "in." As Kelly's friend and roommate, I was immediately accepted and included into two intimate gatherings this weekend and didn't catch a glimpse of the famous French frigidity (if that is a word). I think kissing on the cheeks is a good marker of that kind of openness. They aren't immediatly open, but if you can get into the network, you're a part of the party!

No comments: