01 March 2008

March!

I just had my first week back at work, and while it was a good one, I can't help thinking that in five weeks I'll be back on vacation. I'm not exagerating when I say that the French are serious about their vacation time. March will be the only month when I don't have any official vacation. In October/November I went to Germany, in December/January I spent three luxurious weeks in the States, in February I went to Spain, and all the in between time included weekend and day trips around France.

To break up the month of March I think I'm heading to Marseille with my roommate for a weekend of cheap tourism. Fortunately, if we go in two weeks, we'll have a three day weekend because of some random holiday. When I applied for my assistantship I selected Marseille as my preference to work and live, but I got tiny tiny Confolens. It's supposed to be France's "second city" after Paris, full of contemporary culture and ancient history (i.e. Roman ruins).

Hopefully, I'll also get rid of my car this month, and I found a potential buyer near Paris. If everything lines up, then I'll probably make a trip to Paris to sell good old Anita and collect the money for her. Though that trip is not so much pleasure, as business. I'm getting tired of the responsibilty of having a car here, and even little things like changing the oil, or the liscense plates (which I had to do when I moved), are expensive chores.

I hesitate to talk about the weather in a blog, because 1) I don't want to be boring, and 2) I don't want to brag. I'm going to take a risk anyway, because the weather here has been unbelievable. I had three weeks of sunny, warmish weather last month in France and Spain. By February 20, I was taking walks in a tee-shirt and jeans and singing to myself, since it felt like spring had come a full month early. Trees have started budding and blooming; crocuses and dafodils have opened up a little. It's been cloudy this week, but still incredibly mild, and I can't help hoping that winter is over. (I apologize to readers in the midwest.... I know Spring seems far away for you guys!)

March is my first and last full month of work, and hopefully the weather will keep me motivated. I'm feeling refreshed from February's vacation, as well as the wonderful mail I received for Valentine's Day from my family friends and boyfriend, and a long-distance celebration of my one-year anniversary with Ben. I also have April to look forward to which brings a reuion of my oldest girlfriends, here in France. And the day my contract ends, April 30, my family will arrive for a visit and tour.

No comments: