23 November 2007

Deciphering the French Language

For Thanksgiving, Ben and I bought a cake mix to bake in our mini toaster-oven. We had all the basisc ingredients, butter, eggs, but the recipe called for something I'd never heard of. My French is pretty solid, but I still struggle with connecting words, because they never translate exactly. The cake required "4 cuilléres de soupe à lait." I happen to get "de" and "à" mixed up, because they both can mean "of," "at," and "with," among other things.

So, I was bewildered looking at the cake box, wondering what "4 spoons of soup milk" (or "milk soup") was. I decided that I should just put in regular milk and deal with the consequences. We only have tiny spoons, so I started to put in 3 for each required spoonful; assuming they meant something like tablespoons... then it hit me. The recipe called for 4 soup spoons of milk. Opps, maybe that should have been obvious?

No comments: