16 November 2007

Brush with the Law

The paperwork is so complicated here; I knew that I was going to fuck something up. Well I did, and it didn't turn out too badly, aside from nearly giving me a heart attack.

There is a lot of compulsory red tape that goes along with owning a car here, including immediate updating of the license plates. I didn't read all my paperwork carefully, or I missed something because it was all in French, and put off getting new plates. I also managed to not sign and ship the form that solidified my insurance. So, my temporary insurance expired without my knowing.

Totally ignorant of my errors, we left to go to the bank the other day, when a French police officer tapped on our window. I didn't think we had done anything wrong, so I handed him all my expired papers with a stupid smile. Then he said the phrase I never thought would be spoken to me. "Ma'am, please step out of the vehicle."

After he explained that I would be fined 200 Euros for the license plate and 300 for the insurance, I started to plead ignorance. I convinced him to let us drive that afternoon to sign for the insurance and pick up new plates. While he remained firm, he told me I would be off the hook if I did what I was supposed to and then parked the car at the police station before eight. So I did, and everything is OK. God knows I couldn't have afforded to those fines!

1 comment:

mollie said...

Ah nora...it's good to see that Europe hasn't changed you THAT much. I'm glad you were able to plead ignorance and talk your way out of it. WE mailed your package on Wednesday and they said 6-10 days so hopefully you'll get it before Thanksgiving. WE are headed to Indy this weekend. LOVE YOU. mol